March 5, 2012

Quinoa Cakes

Are you familiar with Quinoa?  I had never had it but I kept hearing about it and seeing all these recipes for it so when we were at a spanish market one day I picked some up and decided to try these.  They are little seeds similar to rice.

I was inspired by Linda at http://eatingwelllivingthin.wordpress.com/2010/11/01/love-my-quinoa-burger/ because she had this amazing recipe on pinterest and I had to try it.

You are going to start by cooking 1 cup quinoa in 2 cups boiling water and leaving it covered on low (once it has hit boiling) for 20 minutes.

In a bowl, combine the following:

1/2 cup low-fat cottage cheese
1 medium carrot, finely grated (OR 1 cup shredded zucchini, squeezed dry)
3 eggs
3 tablespoons all purpose flour
2 green onions, including white parts


1 /2 teaspoon Splenda or sugar

1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin


1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder

It will look something like this.
Once the quinoa has finished cooking, you will add it to the bowl and mix it up.  Put the mixture into a measuring cup and pour it into a pan with 2 tablespoons of olive oil on medium heat and press down to make firm patties.
Once your patties are in the pan the rest is just making sure you flip them correctly.  If you flip too early they can fall apart, too late and they will burn!  Keep an eye on these.

Serve it with Tzatzki dip, which is a green yogurt and cucumber dressing with dill.  Low calorie dip that is amazing on these.  I hope you enjoyed your Quinoa experience!  Thanks to Linda for her talented creation!

1 comment:

  1. I have to try these, I love Quinoa! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think! Just leave a note!